Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What are Runzas????

"Runza? What is that?"

If you are from the midwest, like me, you know the answer.

If you are from another part of the country you may have eaten one but it just has a different name.

"A runza (also called a bierock, fleischkuche or Kraut Pirok) is a yeast dough bread pocket with a filling consisting of beef, pork, cabbage or sauerkraut, onions, and seasonings. They are baked in various shapes such as a half-moon, rectangle, round (bun), square, or triangle. In Nebraska, the runza is usually baked in a rectangular shape. The bierocks of Kansas, on the other hand, are generally baked in the shape of a bun." (Wikepdia)

Where I grew up my favorite fast food restaurant was Runza.
But where we live now the closest restaurant is ummm, actually I'm not really sure. Maybe 1.5 hours away.

I make my own. There's tons of recipes just google or try one of the following.

These freeze great so make up a ton.
My SIL adds cheese to hers and then uses canned cream soups mixed up as dips for the sandwiches.

If you are nursing and aren't used to cabbage be aware that your little one may react to the extra "gas", and you may too:)

Original Runza Recipe with variations

Runza Recipe with pictures

Runza (meat pies) with pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Little Corner

A place to share home and school, children and family thoughts, ideas and inspirations.