Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Backyard Bird Sightings

Our yard has become quite the bird haven this spring and the birds are even getting brave enough to come to the feeders while we are outside.
So far I have a large feeder with songbird seed in the small sycamore tree as well as a suet feeder, and in the large sycamore tree I just placed a small feeder with seed for finches and other small birds. I'm hoping to add a hummingbird feeder as well as a squirrel feeder and at least a couple more bird feeders to some of the other trees in the yard, oh, and a bird bath too!
Here is the list the kids and I have compiled so far:

  1. House sparrow
  2. American Robin
  3. Northern Cardinal
  4. Brown-Headed Cowbird
  5. European Starling
  6. Red-winged Blackbird
  7. Yellow-Headed Blackbird
  8. Common Grackle
  9. Great-Tailed Grackle
  10. Downy or Hairy Woodpecker (still not sure which one)
  11. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
  12. Blue Jay
  13. Northern Flicker
  14. Mourning Dove
  15. Baltimore Oriole
  16. American Goldfinch
  17. Purple or House Finch (not sure which)
What is so fun about the is that my kids know the birds almost as well as I do! They enjoy grabbing the bird book and leafing through it to see what the recognize.

step by step,
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    Thanks for the commment on my blog. I am impressed by all the birds you and your children have seen. Isn't it amazing what we can find in our own backyards once we start looking?

    I hope you can add a hummingbird feeder. I enjoy sitting outside on summer evenings and watching our hummingbirds fight over the feeder. They zip over our heads chasing the other ones off.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

My Little Corner

A place to share home and school, children and family thoughts, ideas and inspirations.